Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Alchemist – How boring a book can be?

Many months, possibly even years passed after I decided to read the book ‘The Alchemist’ and its today that I finally finished reading it. It was beyond all my imagination that a little cute looking book with such an intriguingly interesting title can be this boring. A much hyped out ‘fable about following one’s dream’. I was so excited about Paulo Coelho’s way of writing after having read one of his beautiful works, ‘by the river Piedra, I sat down and wept’. That one had everything; Love, relationship, confusion, destiny, Sacrifice, Words those poke into the softest side of your heart and it’s not odd that a reader expects a similar magic from the Author.So sad it turned to be that Alchemist has got nothing, hardly any beautiful lines, which you would like to underline with your pencil to read again and again. On Contrary, all the book has got are Omens, Weird sounding dreams, Worst interpretations from the nature, the great Lord and his blunt messages, the stupid alchemy, a tasteless desert and a boring caravan. ‘Ok fine!’ you might ask, But what when all of these rotten ingredients mixed up in an Alchemist’s pan?. Good question dude, Coelho got them all, he mixed ‘Elixir of life’ into the composition and blessed it with the sorcerer’s stone, bud did the lead turn to pure Gold? . No, my buddy, it did not. It’s the same old lead which was bit blackened due to the hyper dose of childish mysticism. I bought this book a painful thrice; one for my sister, one for a dear friend of mine and the third, for myself and I am happy that I read, ‘River Piedra’ before I actually read ‘Alchemist’, Otherwise I would have preferred never to read a Coelho again in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment